Home Energy Assistance
Heating and cooling a home for a family on a fixed income can be difficult. OIC administers the Ohio Department of Development’s Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) to help Clark County families with home energy costs.
In addition, some of the energy providers have direct assistance programs that can help offset the costs of home heating and cooling.
To qualify for HEAP and Emergency HEAP, you must:
- Meet the income guidelines (Vary year to year, call for current information)
- Currently have your energy source turned off or about to be turned off
- Make an appointment with OIC: Application cannot be processed without this information. When you come to your appointment at OIC, you MUST bring the following:
- Last 3 months of all household income verification (pay stubs)
- Social Security Numbers and birth dates of all residents living in the home
- Latest electric bill and gas bill (or statement)
- Picture I.D.
Program Time Period
The HEAP program is valid only between November and March. During those off months, there are additional programs in place to help you meet your home energy needs that are available on a first come, first serve basis.
One-Time Emergency HEAP Benefit
A one time, Emergency HEAP benefit is available to those that qualify during both the Winter and Summer months. During the Summer months, there are different requirements you must meet in order to obtain Emergency HEAP that relate to your health. You must call OIC to find out when you can make an appointment to apply for Emergency HEAP before you can receive any type of assistance.
For additional information, visit the following HEAP Links:
Emergency HEAP: http://www.development.ohio.gov/cdd/ocs/eheap.htm
General HEAP: http://www.development.ohio.gov/cdd/ocs/heap.htm
For information on home energy assistance programs through providers visit:
Dollar Energy Fund: http://www.dollarenergy.org/
First Energy Community Involvement: https://www.firstenergycorp.com/corporate/Community_and_Development1.html
Columbia Gas of Ohio Payment Options: http://www.columbiagasohio.com/en/your-home/payment-methods.aspx
DP&L Payment Options: http://www.dpandl.com/payOpt.php